How stress can affect your skin:
Breaking out can be hard to manage even with the best skincare routine and products. If your products are not working or seem like it is taking forever to maintain a clear face this can get extremely stressful. There may be other factors other than your self-care regimen that could be affecting you like stress. According to Chen and Lyga “ Recent research has confirmed skin both as an immediate stress perceiver and as a target of stress responses.” Stress can cause hormonal imbalance which can contribute to acne. Your skin can result in inflammation as a trigger response to stress and this could take on the form of eczema or dermatitis acne. Skin aging, developing fine lines and wrinkles could also be caused by poor stress management.
In our society today, stress is normal to experience but don’t let that take over your life. Start learning how to manage your stress and not just for your mental health but for skin health as well. HelpGuide has identified a few ways to manage stress:
- Identify your stress – Is work or home or friends negatively impacting you?
- Practice the 4 A’s of stress management – Avoid unnecessary stress, Alter your situation, Adapt to your stressor and Accept what you cannot change.
- Get moving – Physical activity is a huge stress reliever, go on a run, ride a bike, dance or workout to release endorphins that make you feel good.
- Connect with a friend – Reach out to people who make you feel happy and spend time with them.
- Make time for fun and relaxation – Recharging yourself reduces stress by creating me time.
- Manage your time better – Don’t over commit yourself, make a list and prioritize your task and get your toughest task done.
- Maintain a healthy diet – Reduce your caffeine and sugar intake. Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs. Get good and consistent sleep.
- Learn to relieve stress at the moment – If you are feeling overwhelmed take a deep breath and refocus yourself.
Stress is a huge factor in our physical and mental health which affects our bodies. At Vita Day Spa we want to help you relieve some of that stress. Schedule your “me” time at a Vita Day Spa near you. We offer massages, facials and infrared saunas that would be perfect to give you time to breathe and destress. We even offer group packages so that you can connect and relax with your friends. Put your skin first at Vita Day Spa’s conveniently located in the Twin-Cities in Shoreview, MN and White Bear Lake, MN.
Robinson, Lawrence, et al. “Stress Management.” HelpGuide.org, Updates Oct. 2019, www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/stress-management.htm. Accessed on 29 February 2020.
Chen, Ying, and John Lyga. “Brain-Skin Connection: Stress, Inflammation and Skin Aging.” Latest TOC RSS, Bentham Science Publishers, 1 June 2014, www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/iadt/2014/00000013/00000003/art00005#. Accessed on 29 February 2020.